Thursday, April 9, 2009

Opening-day madness

A 27-year-old man died after being involved in a fight on Opening Day at Angel Stadium. An Angels spokesman told the Associated Press that the fight occurred shortly after the game and that the man was pronounced dead at the hospital. Witnesses said the man was involved in a fight with another person, when a third man entered the fight and punched him in the head. The man fell and struck his head on a concrete step.

While this is extreme, opening days have always been full of outrageous and sometimes, dangerous, behavior in Pittsburgh. I recall seeing multiple fights in the stands at Pirates opener at Three Rivers Stadium, especially near the end of games. Maybe people just wanted to let off steam from a long winter, or that many of the fans who showed up didn't care much about baseball and just wanted to be part of the event. I am sure alcohol played a major role.

As security has tighten, it has gotten better over the years at PNC Park. But the only time I made sure I had my binoculars in my computer bag was when I covered the Pirates home-opener.

1 comment:

  1. You should've seen the rowdies at Veterans Stadium in Philly. They've managed to tone that down over the years, from what I understand.

    ReplyDelete