Sunday, April 12, 2009

A younger generation of researchers

They say the “younger generation” has no interest in baseball anymore, especially people who have grown up around Pittsburgh.

There’s at least one exception, though. My oldest son has the vaguest of memories of the last time the Pirates played winning ball. But he’s a big fan of the sport in general, including its storied (and not-so-storied) history.

Last weekend, after a couple of hours of helping me with yard work while we listened to the Buccos lose another one, he said he was going to do a bit of research. He emerged with a list that I found so interesting, I’d love to share it with you. ...

... and I will, in my column in Wednesday's Observer-Reporter. Pick up a copy at your local newsstand!


Trivia #5: Besides Willie Stargell, who is the last Pirate to hit 40 or more home runs in a season? (For the answer, scroll down and look to the right.)

4 comments:

  1. This is a great blog!

    I have a reminder in my phone to buy a copy of the OR from the BP on wednesday...

    If I find your column online, I am going to try to return the hard copy paper for a refund :-)
    There is a sweet lady at the front desk who might give me one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm ... I'll have to hide it from going online. Jest kiddin'! Thanks, pal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giles got close, hitting 35 or more home runs in four consecutive seasons (1999-2002) with the Pirates. In '99, he hit his 38th and 39th with 14 games to go, but got hurt and missed the final dozen contests.

    Since his trade to San Diego, Giles has cracked the 20-homer mark only once.

    ReplyDelete